Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Tarot Question: I’ve been seeing people talk about how you shouldn’t learn card meanings but use your own interpretation. But what if your own interpretation is almost opposite of the ‘official’ card meaning? Reply To: Question: I’ve been seeing people talk about how you shouldn’t learn card meanings but use your own interpretation. But what if your own interpretation is almost opposite of the ‘official’ card meaning?

• MermaidTarot

February 5, 2021 at 5:55 am

I view “traditional meanings” as building blocks of a language, but then I noticed that language evolves as you integrate tarot into your experiences. The cards seem to take on special meanings and nuances that are perceivable only to you – kind of like having an inside joke between you and THEMS ( The Heavenly Eternal Messanging System).

I find that rarely there’s a “wrong way” to read a card. What speaks to you on an intimate level may not to someone else, but it doesn’t mean it’s wrong. It maybe an inside joke you’re not getting.

And yes, I find my cards very tongue in cheek sometimes, and what’s more amazing – the Source knows when I’m ready to parttake in lighthearted things, and when I’m needing a straightforward or gentler approach.