Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Tarot Do any of you guys have one deck you’re really connected with and another one that doesn’t work as well with you? Reply To: Do any of you guys have one deck you’re really connected with and another one that doesn’t work as well with you?

• Strange_sunlight

February 13, 2021 at 1:26 pm

I really enjoy using my Rider-Waite-Smith cards now, though I had to modify them a LOT to suit me first: when I first got them I really disliked the colours, especially in the cards with garish yellow backgrounds.

So I dunked them one by one in a pan of strongly-concentrated wood stain in water (they were glossy cards, so my first attempt to age them with tea didn’t ‘take’), swirled them around until they took on a muted antique look, then let them dry on sheets of aluminium foil. Once they were dry, I spray-painted the backs copper because I didn’t like that pattern either, and now they’re very much ‘my’ cards! (It made them thicker and fairly warped, too, but I love the unique character this gives them, and they still shuffle okay.)

In terms of decks I don’t connect with: I have a few oracle decks I barely use, but with tarot decks specifically, the main one would be The Akashic Tarot. The readings I get from it tend to be superficial, ‘believe in yourself!’ messages which don’t provide the intellectual challenge or occasional brutal candidness of the RWS deck. Also, I was disappointed with the Pictorial Key to the Tarot deck I bought a while back: the human figures have a computer-generated appearance which places them well and truly in the Uncanny Valley, and the photorealistic naked ones just feel a bit pervy. That said, the cards do provide an interesting spin on traditional RWS imagery, so it can be fun to compare them with the cards from my main deck while doing a reading!