Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Tarot What sparked your interest in the Tarot? Reply To: What sparked your interest in the Tarot?

• MidNovember

February 13, 2021 at 2:42 pm

As a teenager I became obsessed with finding a copy of the Vertigo Tarot. And when I went away to undergrad, all of my friends with Tori Amos albums were *super* into Tarot. I would sit back and just watch. (Although my beliefs even as a young person tended toward mysticism, I was raised in a Southern Baptist church during the tail end of the Satanic Panic, and my parents would’ve *freaked* over Tarot cards.)

Still, when I was 20 or so, I went to the Tarot store in my college town to ask if the owner had ever heard of the Vertigo Tarot or knew how I could get my hands on one. The owner of the store said to me in a huff, “I have it at home. Even if I knew how to get another copy, I would *never* sell it to *you.* It’s *very* hard to use, and it *isn’t for beginners.*” I thought that was rude, but I said nothing and still bought a deck from her. (*That* deck, a RWS clone, was *actually* hard to use, because how much you know about Tarot has very little to do with whether you connect with a deck.)

Anyway, The Vertigo Tarot was reissued like 5 years later, so that’s when I bought a copy.

tl;dr my “holy grail” got me into Tarot, and also, I get really irritated when people imperiously tell beginners what decks they “shouldn’t” buy